Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Songs of Rejoicing

So, for the past little while, I've been struggling...Not with anything huge or life-shattering, just struggling with some issues in my calling. Like all of us, my heart has dreams and desires that are only spoken in whispers to the heart of God. In my struggle I'm waiting. I'm waiting for His direction, His plan, His leading. And, I haven't seen it. And it's painful. 

In the midst of this struggle, I began reading about King David's desire to build God a Temple. David's desire was centered in his passion for God's glory. He wanted nothing more than to do the work of The Lord. He wanted to draw others to God through providing a place of true worship. But God said "No." Ouch...And, wow...And why? God had a plan for someone else to do the Temple Building. David's job was to prepare his son, Solomon, to equip him and to raise him up, so that he would build a glorious Temple for God. As painful as God's answer to David's godly desire may have been, he did exactly as God instructed him. And Solomon's Temple was an amazing work for the glory of the Lord. 

As I read about the Temple, I thought about God's choices. He chooses to use each and every one of us for different parts of His plan, but the purpose for each of us is the same...It's all for His glory. This reality doesn't change if we experience disappointment in the way He chooses to use us for that purpose. 

Romans 12:15 teaches us to "Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep." I thought I understood this verse. I totally get crying with people who are crying. I have experienced that many times in life and in ministry. It's the rejoicing part I only thought I understood. I looked at it like, yes, I can rejoice right alongside you as we are part of a joyful experience together. I also understood it as being truly happy for someone else's success, even if I missed out on the same opportunity. 

The deeper meaning was revealed when I took a look at the original language for the word "with" as it is used here. In the Greek, it means "amid," or in the middle of someone else's rejoicing. 

This is the lesson God is teaching me. I am to rejoice with (in the middle of) all those who are rejoicing around me...I am to minister to them by rejoicing with them. For instance, in the midst of my struggle over God's calling, I am in the middle of many people who are rejoicing over His calling in their lives. In the past few weeks, God has opened ministry doors and opportunities for precious friends living in different cities and different states. He is doing a work in and through these men and women that they never dreamed He would do. As a matter of fact, their dreams pale in comparison to all He is doing. 

As I've learned of each one, the enemy has been lurking to lead me down a well-worn path of comparison, with a little detour of condemnation, but God has done a precious work in my heart. He has given me the ministry of rejoicing with those who rejoice. I think the sweetest song He is teaching my soul is a song of rejoicing for others when I am in a time of struggling. He hasn't changed my circumstances; but He is making a way for me to bring Him glory in them. Oh, it is a sweet, sweet song. 

God truly does give "songs in the night". I'm learning that sometimes the songs He gives are to the tune of someone else's heartbeat. As I rejoice with my precious friends, my prayer is for our God to always be glorified. 

If you are struggling today, look toward (not away from) those who are rejoicing in blessings given by the hand of God. Let Him teach you how to sing a song of rejoicing, even if the tune isn't your own heartbeat, but the heartbeat of someone else. I promise it will be sweet and more catchy than you could imagine. 



2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I have been on the receiving end of you living out the verse "mourn with those who mourn; rejoice with those who rejoice." You have encouraged me in BOTH seasons. You have been used to propel me to think big, to just go for it, and you have been used in this way in MANY lives. You have also been a friend in whom MY heart safely trusts, and during those times of great mourning in the deep, dark, frightening journey of the unknown, YOU have mourned with me - and beena rock, seeking to listen and to encourage and to keep focused on God's word at hand. Your ministry is to MANY as a great speaker, and I have been on the receiving end of that. Your ministry is to SMALL groups; and I have been blessed to learn how to dig into Scripture with you as my Sunday school teacher. Your ministry is to INDIVIDUALS, and I have been blessed to have you as an "iron sharpens iron" and "heart safe" friend who went to battle - on her knees in prayer, without judgment, but truly intentional to be "in my camp." Your ministry is to YOUR family - which I have watched you put first over all ministry opportunities - which is exactly our calling, and have watched as God faithfully brought ministries TO you. I remember someone telling me to live life according to the priorities God has give at each season and HE will bring the ministries TO you. I see Him doing that over and over - and you have blessed me beyond measure with your skills, passion, talents, and continual responses to others to help understand passages, to give a verse or passage that demonstrates some particular character quality or matches a lesson learned. You have been quick to hear and obey the promptings of the Lord to encourage, to share a verse that perfectly meets the person where they are- encouraging them to endure, remain steadfast, and to be and use all that they have for the Lord. I see God at work in you... and it spills over onto so many. Thank you, Stephanie for your ministry - both in front of others and behind the scenes.
    Thank you for your blog post and your transparency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for bing an "isi" friend to me through the years! You have blessed me and continue to bless me (and my family) with your wisdom and friendship. I am amazed at what God is doing and I could not be more excited to see years of prayer come to fruition. Big dreams become even bigger realities when we leave them with The Lord. I have seen you do that with such faith and confidence. I am praising Him for where He has me and trying to enjoy every season. (Especially since we get to FULLY appreciate them here in Missouri! Ha!) God's plans, in His timing, are good and right and true. Oh, we are so very priviliged to be His servants on any level. There is nothing greater than to know Him, love Him and serve Him. I can't wait to see how He continues to CULTIVATE His women through the message and ministry He has given you!

      Delete